Call for Submissions: BOS Magazine, Volume 7 - Black Foodways
BOS Magazine welcomes writers, artists, and creators to submit their work for Volume 7: Black Foodways. We are seeking original and thought-provoking pieces that celebrate and explore the diverse world of Black food, farming, and culture in Raleigh, Wake County, and the surrounding areas. Whether you have a personal narrative, a mouthwatering recipe, a piece of artwork, or a poetic reflection, we want to hear your unique voice.
Submission Deadline: January 31, 2024
We accept submissions in the following categories:
1. Essays and Articles: Engaging and well-researched non-fiction pieces related to the theme of Black foodways.
2. Poetry and Prose: Creative writing that explores the sensory experiences, memories, and emotions tied to food and its historical, cultural, communal, political, and economic ramifications.
3. Artwork and Photography: Visual representations of farming, culinary traditions, ingredients, and the people behind the food.
4. Recipes and Cooking Stories: Share your favorite recipes and the stories that accompany them.
5. Interviews and Profiles: Profiles of individuals who have made a significant impact in the world of Black food, farming, culture, advocacy, business, health, and culinary arts.
- While we will never turn away a creative who desires to share their work, BOS Magazine gives priority to submissions from Black and brown artists and writers with a connection to Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Submissions should be original and previously unpublished (not including your personal platforms, such as social media or blogs).
- Written submissions (essays, articles, poetry, prose) should not exceed 2,500 words.
- Artwork and photography should be high-resolution (300 DPI) and submitted in JPEG format.
- Include a brief author/artist bio (50-100 words) with your submission.
- Submissions should reflect the theme of Black Foodways and resonate with the culture, traditions, and experiences of Black communities in Raleigh, Wake County, and the surrounding areas.
- (OPTIONAL) Include a family recipe with your submission to include in the magazine, along with a short paragraph and/or images highlighting its significance to you and your primary submission.
How to Submit:
1. Email: Send your submission as an attachment to bos DOT team AT blackoaksociety DOT com.
2. Subject Line: Use "BOS Magazine Submission - Volume 7" as the subject line of your email.
3. Body of Email: Include your name, contact information, and a short author/artist bio (50-100 words) in the body of the email.
Notification and Publication:
- We will notify you of the acceptance or rejection of your submission by February 28, 2024.
- Accepted submissions will be featured in BOS Magazine, Volume 7: Black Foodways, published in August 2024.
- Due to the volume of submissions, we may not be able to provide individual feedback on each piece. If you are interested in feedback, please reply to your decision email with your request and we will do our best to provide more insight into our decision.
By submitting your work to BOS Magazine, you grant us the non-exclusive right to publish your work in our magazine and on our website. You retain the copyright to your work and are free to publish it elsewhere after its initial publication in BOS Magazine.
Connect with Us:
Stay updated on the submission process, magazine release, and more by following us on social media and subscribing to our newsletter:
- Facebook: [BlackOakSociety](https://www.facebook.com/BlackOakSociety)
- Instagram: [@blackoaksociety](https://www.instagram.com/blackoaksociety)
We look forward to receiving your flavorful submissions that celebrate the rich tapestry of Black foodways in Raleigh and beyond!